Search This Blog

January 3, 2011

Clueless in Hypnosis

I DIDN’T HAVE A CLUE!
Having finally graduated and been certified as a “Clinical Hypnotherapist”, I knew one thing for certain – I wasn’t qualified to do therapy!
Oh sure, I could deliver a beautiful Progressive Relaxation Induction. And I could read a script with some degree of eloquence. But actual therapy?
NOT!
While I had apparently been ‘cross-trained’ in various hypnotic techniques, the training process had been largely theoretical.
It soon became clear – I had no idea how to apply all that I had learned!
It’s been said that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.[i] I was terrified of the damage I might unwittingly inflict out of sheer ignorance. I was facing a choice.
1. Fake it ‘til you make it.
2. Quit and go flip burgers.
3. Invest in further education.
‘Hanging out a shingle’ right away simply wasn’t the responsible choice.
I was thoroughly convinced of the healing potential of hypnotherapy, so giving up was no longer an option.
I chose to adopt the attitude, “in for a penny, in for a pound” and get the education of a qualified professional.
So began an interesting and rather costly journey of acquiring the necessary knowledge and skill to confidently practice therapeutic hypnosis.
If your philosophy doesn’t grow corn, I don’t want to hear about it. 
– Sun Bear, Medicine Man
Over ten years of dedicated study and practice, I have discovered methods that ‘grow corn.’ I have learned that healing is natural. It happens – when we let it. So we don’t have to manufacture change. So I’m writing it down in a book called, ‘The Devil’s Therapy.’
This is not a book on inductions and deepeners, however. There will be no scripts. There are ideas and concepts that can help those in our profession who, like me, want to ‘go pro.’ And help our clients heal themselves by addressing the underlying causes.
Through this blog I’ll share why I chose the devil. I’ll also share what I have learned about what it takes to ‘go pro.’ And the pros and cons of being a professional Hypnotherapist.
Stay tuned!



[i] “A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian Spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again.” – Alexander Pope, An Essay on Criticism, 1709

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Please can I reserve the first copy of the book!

Piers

Craig Homonnay said...

Sorry Piers I beat you to it :-)
You can have the second one

Looking forward to reading your blog and the book Wendie x

Craig

Wendie Webber said...

Settle down, boys! The book is in the editing phase right now - ahead of schedule! You'll be the first to know when it's ready!

And thanks for your confidence and support!

~w~