Search This Blog

July 24, 2011

If you want a professional hypnotherapy practice - get a system!



Tina was a frazzled artist!

Many of Tina’s inspirations for her art come to her while she’s journaling, so this is a valuable part of her work. She complained that she would rise early to grab a few moments for herself to journal before getting her boys off to school. She would then scramble to accomplish things during the day before having to pick the boys up and taxi them to after-school activities.

“I just get started on a project and it’s time to pick up the boys.” Tina lamented. “I have no time for myself!”

“Do you have a schedule?” I asked.

Tina was immediately resistant. “I already have too many things controlling my life! I don’t need a schedule to control me even more!”

The over-stressed mother-wife-artist-business woman clearly needed help.

I gently offered that MY schedule GIVES me control. 

“Mondays are my business development days,” I explained. “That’s when I send out newsletters, blog and go for coffee/networking dates.” 

I continued, “I see clients Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and sometimes Saturday morning. Fridays are reserved for professional development. I keep Friday clear so if I have a class scheduled for the weekend I have time to prepare. Otherwise, Friday is my day to immerse myself in whatever course I’m currently studying.”

“That won’t work for me,” Tina argued. “I have to pick up the boys at 3:00. And some Fridays they are off for Pro-D day. There’s just no time...”

“That’s why you need a schedule!” I responded. “One that GIVES you control. Let’s look at it on paper, okay?”

With her permission I drew out a 7 day schedule starting at 6:00 am. After blocking out 6:00 – 7:00 am for journaling I asked, “You have to pick up the boys at 3:00, right? Let’s block that time out right away. After 3:00 you’re off the clock, okay?”

Tina released a deep sigh of relief. She began musing, “Well, I could probably work a couple of hours in the evening …” She was softening, opening to possibilities.

“That’s okay, “I replied. “That’s up to YOU. It’s YOUR schedule. Let’s just take care of the most important things first, okay? Now, something I heard you say is that you need more time for YOU. So let’s SCHEDULE it.”

Tina’s eyes widened. This was clearly a new concept. “Once I get the boys off to school I could write or paint … that’s time for me …” she offered.

“Great! You get back from dropping the boys off at school when?”

“I’m home by 9:00 am.”

“Okay, so how much time do you need? Let’s just block off that time from 9:00 to ….”

“Oh, just a couple of hours.”

“Until 11:00, then? That means you still have from 11:00 until 3:00. How would you like to use this time?”

“Well, I have a lot of telephoning I need to do that I just haven’t gotten to. I have been neglecting my clients ….” Tina was getting flustered again.

“That sounds like something important, then.”

“Yes, if I don’t stay in touch I have no money coming in!” she replied.

“Would an hour a day be enough? By the end of the week you will have invested 5 hours into connecting with clients on the phone.”

“Oh, yes!” Tina brightened.

“Morning or afternoon?” I asked.

“Morning is better. Before lunch.”

I then did a review of her morning. “Now, we still have from noon until 3:00 each day. How would you like to use this time?”

Tina made a leap to Saturday. “Saturday is family day. I must have that time with my husband and the boys. It’s very important.”

“Great. Let’s just block out Family Day.” I agreed. “As you can see, your schedule is completely flexible. You find a way that works for YOU and it gives you CONTROL over your time. Understand?”

Tina admitted that she had more time than she had realized. And that having a schedule might actually give her the sense of control she needed in her hectic life.

As she implemented her new-found system, Tina found she had the freedom to make adjustments. By acknowledging her many roles and values in life, she was able to find a way to satisfy them. 

By giving herself permission to nourish herself, her family, and her business she was able to release the unrealistic expectation that she be a full-time business woman.

As her stress levels diminished she became more efficient at meeting the needs of her growing business.

If you want a professional hypnotherapy practice you must develop a business management system that supports you. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel. Like diets, there are plenty of management systems to choose from. Just pick one that works for you and use it.

Things to consider:

If you work from home do you have a system for managing kids, dogs, dirt, clutter, cooking smells, etc.?

Do you have a system for answering email or the telephone?

Do you have a paperwork system that allows you to keep track of your client?

Do you have a session confirmation process?

Do you have a web presence? A newsletter?  A blog? How do you manage your time around these things?

Do you schedule client days, business development days, and professional development days?

Do you give yourself personal time to regenerate?

When?

How could you use your day-planner to set yourself free to be more successful?

Email me and I'll send you the first three chapters of 'The Devil's Therapy: from Hypnosis to Healing'. wendie@devilstherapy.com

 


No comments: