Search This Blog

May 23, 2011

Starfish Calling


 
Two friends are walking along the beach at dawn following a storm. They notice that the storm has left the beach littered with starfish. Hundreds of starfish. Thousands of starfish. As they walk and talk, one of the companions picks up a starfish and tosses it back into the water. And then another. And another.

Finally, their friends stops and says, “What are you doing?” To which the friend replies, “I am throwing the starfish back into the ocean.”

“But why?” asks the friend.

“The sun is coming up,” explains the other friend, as another starfish is sent sailing into the sea. “If I don’t, they will die.”

“Look around you!” argues the friend. “There are hundred, possibly thousands of starfish on the beach. What difference could it possibly make?”

Picking up yet another starfish, the other friend tossed it out into the water, saying, “It makes a difference to that one!”

One of the things that drew me into the study of hypnosis and healing with the mind was my own search to discover a purpose-driven vocation. After years of working my way through countless books, programs, and courses I eventually arrived at a statement of purpose. And here’s where I’m going to go out on a limb. 

I’m going to share it with you.

My purpose is to reconnect lost souls with the awareness of the light at the core of their being to illuminate the world.

I know what you’re thinking… Cue to the theme song from Twilight Zone, right?

But actually, this is something I have been doing all along. You see, before hypnosis, I owned a self-help/spiritual bookstore. Turns out it is actually congruent for me to put my emphasis on raising consciousness. 

As a spiritual bookseller my job was to help “lost souls” find their way. After all, weren’t we kindred spirits stranded on the wrong planet? The least we could do is embrace one another in recognition of the journey we all share; a journey to wholeness. 

Life is, after all, a healing journey.

I have come to realize that none of us are truly lost. We just feel lost when we have forgotten our true nature. 

I have also come to accept that healing isn’t something we do. It is the natural result of reconnecting one’s awareness of one’s Core Integrity. 

Regardless of what we conceive it to be, we are connected to Life and Divine Nature. Our Core Being is the light within us, our inner beauty and love which, like the moon, reflects Divine Light and Love. 

I work tirelessly to remember this. And inspire others to do the same. Because it requires consciousness to facilitate healing. 

Roselyn Bruyere, author of Wheels of Light, once said, “If you knew why you are here you would show up!” The burden is upon each of us to show up with a commitment to honing our knowledge, tools, and skills in service to healing.

You are the instrument. 

You are never done learning and healing because, like metal in a forge, you are being shaped by your life experiences for a purpose. You have a purpose that is unique to you. What it might be is up to you to discover. 

Which brings me to the starfish story ….

You see, this story never set right with me. I have never been satisfied with healing just one. What I wanted was companions to join me! And find more effective ways to return the ‘lost ones’ to their Source of Love…

And in so doing, perhaps, illuminate the world.


No comments: